TTL Automotive logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Some answers to the more common questions relating to contracting

What is the contractual structure?

Swissroll has a Swiss employment agreement with you mirroring the conditions set out by your client and/or agency.

Swissroll would normally hold the contract with your Swiss based client and would invoice them on your behalf or on behalf of your agency.

Your Agency would then invoice Swissroll for their margin due to employment and contracting law.

Can I use my own limited company?

We can only operate with a contractor's Swiss limited company.

In practice what happens?

Upon receipt of your timesheets we invoice the client within two days for your salary.

This happens mostly on a monthly basis.

a) We calculate your salary and produce a pay slip.

b) We pay your salary within two days after receipt of funds from the client and     after deduction of our commission.

How much will I get?

Swissroll will explain to you the tax, social security and pension set up in Switzerland at a point in time requested by you.  We will provide you with sample pay slips for a basic working month based on your rate, age, marital status, living location (when in Switzerland) and children.

Can I just use my BUPA/other private health cover?

In our experience, most Swiss communes will not accept foreign private health cover.

I am not an EU national, can I get a work permit?

For non-EU nationals it is much more difficult to obtain a work visa. In most cases, only the company for whom you will work will be able to obtain one for you and then only if you are directly employed by them.

How much tax will I have to pay?

The tax structure in Switzerland is extremely complex and depends not only on your personal situation (marital status, etc.), but also on where you are living (Zug and Schwyz are often quoted as the cheapest cantons to live in, while Geneva and Neuch√Ętel are quite expensive).

Typical costs for tax and social security vary between 30% and 40%.


Swiss pension structure?

The Swiss pension structure is made up of three "pillars":

  • 1st pillar is a mandatory state pension scheme and contributions are income-dependent.  Once you have contributed for 12 months you will be entitled to a partial state pension from Switzerland when you reach retirement age.
  • 2nd pillar is a mandatory company pension scheme and contributions are income- and age-dependent.. The capital can be transferred to a foreign pension plan, upon permanent departure from Switzerland, or used to start a business or buy a principal residence in Switzerland or the EU. You may also make additional contributions as a tax-saving measure.
  • 3rd pillar is an optional top-up personal pension plan, available from banks and insurance companies, which has some tax advantages.

What do I have to do to register in Switzerland?

You should normally register within 8 days of arrival.  When you sign up with Swissroll, we will talk you through every step of the process as this can change from commune to commune. We will let you know exactly where to go, when to go there, and what to take with you!

How do tax payments work in Switzerland?

As a short-term resident, you will be taxed at source (similar to UK PAYE). We will handle all tax and social security contributions for you and provide you with detailed monthly salary statements.

Can my family come with me?

If you have a work and residence permit your family may join you in Switzerland.  Each family member must register and obtain a resident permit.

Can you help me find accommodation?

As we are not present all over Switzerland, we will not assist you in finding accommodation.  Local contacts or letting agents may be able to help.

I need help with my Swiss tax return, can you help? How much will it cost?

We are happy to help; the costs will vary depending on your situation. Please contact our team for more information.

What about Child benefit?

Employees have the right to claim for child benefit whilst working in Switzerland. The employee must prove that they do not receive benefit from another country.

The amount received varies from canton to canton and depends on the employer's location.